Monday 29 April 2013

Spring - Four favourites and a fail - Origins, 4711, Woody's & GeoSkincare


Origins Checks and Balances frothy face wash 150ml – I originally received this as a GWP sample which I paid no attention to and  chucked into the stash of minis which I save for trips. Eventually I put it in the shower to force myself that I’d use it up and it turns out that I really like this. I was looking for a cleanser which I could use during my shower and just rinse off with water as I’m not in the mood for faffing around with face cloths first thing in the morning. Although it’s intended for people with combination skin, it’s fine with my dry skin and doesn’t leave any tight feeling afterwards. Definite repurchase, this has become my favourite morning cleanser in the shower.

Origins Drink Up Intensive 50ml - an overnight mask with a satisfyingly thick consistency which is easily spreadable and a fruity, apricot scent which I wasn’t crazy about at first, but now I’m used to it and even find it soothing to fall asleep to as I now associate this scent with sleepytime. I often use this instead of a night moisturiser. Already repurchased. Twice. The full size is 100ml but a 50ml size is available from their website at half the price so I prefer this size as it means I'm using up a fresh product.

4711 75ml - the only way I could love this any more is if it lasted more than twenty minutes on my skin. It’s inexpensive sure, but having to reapply throughout the day means you get through a bottle quickly. I splash it on my hair and around the neck of my t-shirt to help the fragrance last. I used to only wear this in the summer, but this year I’ve been using it in the cooler weather too and it’s equally as gorgeous. Definite repurchase.

Woody’s Pomade – love this. I picked this up from my favourite place, the clearance counter at TKMaxx for £1. I’d noticed that I’d started to develop small bumps along my hairline and although I didn’t know what was causing them, I suspected the petrolatum ingredients in some of my hair styling products was the cause. This smells green and fresh, a bit like an Aloe Vera gel. The consistency is a thick jelly and it styles hair without leaving it looking greasy, crunchy or sticky. I’ve been using it to give a Just Got Out Of Bed look (I was going to write “Just Been Fucked”, how rude!) and it keeps a casual messy look in place all day. It also rinses out easily the next day. Definite repurchase, highly recommended for short hair styles or people wanting to avoid petroleum in their hair styling products.

GeoSkincare for men skin repair - yes, this is my fail. I used this on my face initially but didn’t like it as it felt greasy and all I could smell of it was the patchouli even though it’s the smallest ingredient. I had to stop using this after a few days as my chin area started to look a bit red and bumpy. So I decided to relegate this to be used up as a body butter, but it triggered a rash all over my legs, arms and neck. It looked like I’d been struck by a bad sunburn. I’ve tested a small patch on my arm since and it came up in a rash within a couple of hours. I have idea what’s causing this rash. Have a look at the ingredients below, does anything look like an allergen to you? I’d used their toner previously and that was very good and I repurchased a couple of times. I would not repurchase this.

Organic botanical infusion, organic cera alba (beeswax), organic theobroma cacao (cocoa) seed butter, organic butyrospermum parkii (shea butter), organic ricinus communis (castor) seed oil, cetearyl wheat straw glycosides and cetearyl alcohol (xyliance), organic macadamia intergrifolia (macadamia) seed oil, organic persea gratissima (avocado) oil, gluconolactone and sodium benzoate (geogard ultra), zanthomonas campestris (xanthan gum), tocopheral (vitamin e), potassium hydroxide, citrus aurantifolia (lime) oil, urtica dioica (nettle) root extract, rosemarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf oil, vitis vinifera (vinanza grape) seed extract, triticum vulgare (wheatgerm) oil, pogostemon cablin (patchouli) oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment